If you’re a proud owner of a Jeep CJ-5, CJ-7, or CJ-8 and haven’t explored your local off-road toy store, you might be missing out. These iconic vehicles typically feature a 3 or 4-speed manual transmission, front and rear leaf springs, a Dana 30 front axle, an AMC model 20 rear axle, and in later models, a Dana 300 transfer case. Earlier versions might be equipped with T-18’s or T-20’s.
Model Year Recommendations
Our focus is on model years ’76-’86. For those with stock vehicles, consider upgrading shackles and hangers to enhance strength and safety. Steering improvements can be achieved through a shackle reversal kit and steering box support. Additionally, the often-overlooked factory U-bolt plates can be a weak point, warranting replacement with a heavy-duty U-bolt skid plate that not only provides protection but also shields U-bolts and shocks.
- Shackle and Hanger Upgrade: Strengthen your vehicle with upgraded shackles and hangers for enhanced durability.
- Shackle Reversal Kit and Steering Box Support: Improve steering performance by installing a shackle reversal kit and supporting the steering box.
- Heavy-Duty U-Bolt Skid Plate: Address the common weak point of factory U-bolt plates by replacing them with a heavy-duty skid plate. This upgrade not only bolsters strength but also provides protection for U-bolts and shocks.
Apart from the joy of off-roading, Jeep CJ-5, CJ-7, and CJ-8 vehicles are characterized by distinct features:
- Round Headlights: A signature design element that adds to the classic look.
- Leaf Springs: Providing a robust suspension system for tackling diverse terrains.
- Lug Nut Pattern: A 5 on 5.5″ pattern, contributing to the vehicle’s unique identity.